University of New Hampshire

School of Law

School of Law

Financial Aid – Helpful Websites

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

Don’t know where your loans are? This is a helpful website to get more information on your federal loans.

Money Management

The U.S government's website for financial education.

Mint has been named the best online personal finance tool by Money Magazine, PC Magazine, and is PC World’s Editor’s Choice.

Suze Orman has been called "a force in the world of personal finance" and a "one-woman financial advice powerhouse" by USA Today. A two-time Emmy Award-winning television host, New York Times mega bestselling author, magazine and online columnist, writer/producer, and one of the top motivational speakers in the world today, Orman is undeniably America's most recognized expert on personal finance.

Repayment Plans and Calculators

This website provides useful information on types of repayment options available and loan calculators to compare monthly payments for each option.

Questions on Loan Forgiveness

The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 established a new public service loan forgiveness program. This program discharges any remaining debt after 10 years of full-time employment in public service.

The borrower must have made 120 payments as part of the Direct Loan Program in order to obtain this benefit. Only payments made on or after October 1, 2007 count toward the required 120 monthly payments. (Borrowers may consolidate into Direct Lending in order to qualify for this loan forgiveness program starting July 1, 2009.)

On January 31, 2012, the Department released an Employment Certification Package to help borrowers track their progress toward qualifying for PSLF. Download the materials.

FinAid's information on public service loan forgiveness

Independent source of information about loan repayment and forgiveness programs

Equal Justice Works: Educational Debt Relief

Article: Repaying student loans based on income

Federal Direct Consolidation Loans Information Center

Consequences of Defaulting on a Student Loan

You are responsible for repaying your student loans even if you do not graduate, have trouble finding a job after graduation or just didn't like your school. Defaulting on your student loans has serious consequences. FinAid's page on Defaulting on Student Loans.

Information on Obtaining a Deferment or Forbearance

The federal student aid site's Postponing Repayment page

Information on Obtaining Full or Partial Loan Cancellation or Discharge

The federal student aid site's Discharge/Cancellation page

Student Loan Consolidation

FinAid's information page on the benefits and effects of consolidation

Ask a tax expert

Student Guide to Federal Tax Benefits for Tuition and Fees

Official IRS website

Federal Student Aid Ombudsman of the Department of Education

A resource for students to resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans,

Loan Repayment Assistance Program

The University of New Hampshire School of Law established the Phinney Fund, our loan repayment assistance program (LRAP), for JD graduates who take low paying public interest law jobs. UNH School of Law recognizes the high debt loads that face many JD graduates and wanted to enable those graduates to still pursue their public interest law careers.

Credit Report

Need a copy of your credit report?

Perkins or Law Center Loans

The servicer for these loans is ACS. Please contact them at 1 (800) 826-4470 via the website.

Deferments can be downloaded from this site and sent directly to:

Business Office/University of New Hampshire School of Law
2 White Street
Concord, NH 03301

Identity Theft Information

This is the Federal Trade Commission’s website on how consumers can avoid identity theft.

How to prevent identity theft in addition to updates on recent consumer advocacy issues affecting students.

Opt out prescreen

This site allows you to opt out of pre-screened credit offers for five years or permanently. You may also call 1 (888) 567-8688.