Admission FAQs

What You Want to Know

Admissions  |  Academics   Student Life    

We know there are many options to consider. Here are a few important facts we thought would be helpful.

LL.M., Master’s and Diploma


What graduate programs do you offer?

We have an LL.M. and an interdisciplinary Master’s program in: Intellectual Property (IP), Commerce and Technology (CT) and International Criminal Law and Justice (ICLJ).

We offer a one-semester diploma program in Intellectual Property and Commerce and Technology.

Am I a good fit?

The LL.M. program is ideal for domestic and foreign-trained attorneys seeking specialized training.

The IP master’s degree program is a good fit for domestic and foreign engineers, scientists or business professionals who want a specialized degree.

The ICLJ master’s program is designed for professionals, students and scholars in diplomatic, criminal, military or law enforcement communities around the globe.

What are the admission requirements?

You can find a specific list of requirements listed on our application checklist page.

Do I need a law degree to be admitted into the LL.M. program?

All LL.M. applicants must have completed a J.D., LL.B. or a recognized equivalent law degree, or have credentials that demonstrate equivalent qualification through relevant professional experience, as outlined in the graduate program admission standards.

Do I need a law degree to be admitted into the master’s program?

You do not need a law degree.

Will I be required to take the LSAT examination?

You do not have to take the LSAT.

Is work experience required?

No work experience is necessary.

Who is exempt from the language proficiency requirement?

You may be exempt if you received a degree from a college or university where English was the medium language of instruction.
Since I am in the United States, will you accept photocopies of my academic documents from an institution based in a foreign country?

We will not accept photocopies.

Should my transcript be evaluated before I submit it?

An evaluation is not necessary, but transcripts need to be translated into English.

Am I required to register for the LSAC LL.M. Credential Assembly Service?

You are not required to use the service.

You may submit an application through the LSAC service for residential programs or apply online through our website for limited residential or online programs.

When can I begin the program? 

Students have the option to enroll in the fall (August) for our residential programs.

Please see how to apply for specific entry terms.

UNH Law has rolling admissions, so applying early is very important. Late applicants are evaluated if time and space permit.

When are classes scheduled?

Classes are typically scheduled Mondays through Fridays during the morning and early afternoon.


How many credits are necessary to complete the degree?

LL.M. needs 24 credits, a master’s degree needs 30 credits.

Am I eligible to participate in an internship/externship?

Yes. Residential LL.M. and master’s degree candidates, with an honor average or better at the end of their first semester, may be eligible for an externship.
May I transfer to the Juris Doctor program after matriculating in the master’s or LL.M. program?

Students enrolled in the master’s or LL.M. program may apply to the J.D. program after completing their first semester.

For additional information, please refer to the J.D. admissions office.

Student Life

What are my housing options?

UNH Law provides an updated housing list in late fall and late spring. You will need a user name and password to access the housing list. All instructions are posted on the housing website.

Are scholarships or other financial assistance options available to international students?

Applicants for residential programs are eligible for scholarships. Priority will be given to individuals who apply before April 1 for the fall term and November 1 for the spring term.

To be considered for a scholarship, applicants must also request a scholarship under the financial assistance section in the application.

Federal financial aid is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

Eligible students must complete a FAFSA form online, and a financial aid award letter will be sent to qualified students shortly thereafter.

After completion of the LL.M. program, will I be eligible to take a bar examination?

Please visit the American Bar Association's website for a state-by-state guide to bar examination requirements.