JD New Student Orientation
New JD Student Orientation Program
Tuesday, August 19 - Thursday, August 21, 2014
New JD student orientation registration begins on Tuesday at 8:30-9:00 a.m. in the Jury Box Café at the Concord, NH campus. Please join us for a continental breakfast, meet your fellow classmates, faculty, staff, and your student mentor.
We’ll be taking your professional photo for your ID card, and for future use, so please wear business attire on the first morning of orientation. You can change into casual clothes on Tuesday afternoon, so bring them along.
JD Orientation has two parts:
Welcome to the Legal Profession
Preparing for Your Law School Experience
The complete JD Orientation Schedule will be available August 1st.
Assignments for Orientation
This list will be updated the week of June 30. Please check back then.
Briefing a Case Assignment – State of NH v. Winstead. Read the case. We will brief it together during this orientation session.
Legal Writing Questionnaire - [RTF format] [PDF format] Bring the completed questionnaire to orientation.
Legal Analysis and Writing I Essay Assignment - [PDF format] Bring this completed essay to orientation.
- All first year students will be taking the Legal Profession Course. Please complete this survey [RTF format] and bring it to your first class on August 28th.
Assignments for your first classes
This section will be updated as new information becomes available.
Civil Procedure: All first year law students will be taking Civil Procedure with Professor Greabe.
Civil Procedure first assignment – From the casebook, Civil Procedure, Eighth Edition, by Stephen C. Yeazell, read pages 1-12 and look up in the Casebook Supplement any rules or statutes that are cited in that reading. This book will be conveniently available from the UNH Law Online Bookstore.
Suggested Summer Reading List (nothing is required - but if you’re interested)
One of our faculty members will be our group facilitator of an optional group discussion on Thursday, August 21 during Orientation. The discussion will be on Gilbert King, Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America, Harper Collins (2013).
- See tuition information.
- Financial information for UNH Law Students
- Computer Requirements and our Computer Services Department
- If you need housing, go to our Housing Guide.
- All UNH Law students must have health insurance. To learn more about the UNH Student Health Benefits Plan please visit the UNH site.
- Classes begin on August 25, 2014. Please see the Academic Calendar for other important dates.
- The International Student Advisor's Office is here to offer assistance to foreign students.
Assistant Dean for Students
If you need disability accommodations or have any special needs, concerns or questions, please contact Assistant Dean for Students Fran Canning at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (603) 513-5171.