UNH Franklin Pierce offers highly qualified foreign trained lawyers advanced standing admission to its J.D. program. This program allows foreign lawyers to earn their J.D. in two years. This program is ideal for international lawyers who are also seeking admission to practice law in the United States, particularly because New Hampshire is a uniform bar examination jurisdiction.
Applicants may transfer in up to 28-transfer qualifying credits for prior law study. Advanced Standing applicants do not need to take the LSAT or another entrance exam for admission, however, if applicable, must take the TOEFL/IELTS test and achieve a satisfactory score.
Students follow a rigorous course of study that prepares them for practice and the bar exam, including:
- Administrative Process
- Article II Sales
- Business Associations
- Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Process
- The Legal Profession*
- Legal Research and Information Literacy*
- Legal Writing I*
- Legal Writing II
- Professional Responsibility
- Upper Level Skills
- Upper Level Writing
- Wills, Trust & Estates
- A clinic or J.D. legal residence of no more than 4 credits
The courses designated with * may not be satisfied by law study at another institution, except in unusual circumstances.
Advanced Standing students may also choose to follow particular pathways to prepare them in areas of practice such as Intellectual Property:
- Patent law: Patent Law, Patent Prosecution I & II, and two patent law electives
- Sports & entertainment law: Sports Law, Entertainment Law, Trademark Law, Copyright Law
- Business law: Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities Regulation, Business Entities Taxation; Antitrust
- Practice ready: Trial Advocacy, Negotiations, Writing for Practice, Clinics
Advanced Standing students may also be eligible to participate in UNH Law Review, IDEA, and Moot Court.
UNH Franklin Pierce offers generous scholarships for applicants from partner schools. Please contact our admissions team for further information about scholarship eligibility.