Join us for the Intellectual Property Summer Institute (IPSI) May 23 - July 1!
We hope you will join us for UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law’s Intellectual Summer Property Institute, available online or in-person on our Concord campus May 23 – July 1, 2022.
WHAT IS IPSI?
IPSI draws dozens of IP professionals, professors, and law students to New Hampshire for intellectually stimulating lectures and vibrant discussions, providing provides students and lawyers with a unique opportunity to access world-class faculty, researchers, and industry professionals and learn about today’s trending topics in intellectual property to stay in the know and ahead of the curve.
WHAT YOU’LL EXPERIENCE
- Engage with industry leaders at Fortune 500 companies and Am Law 100 firms and our expert faculty and alumni as they give you an insider's look into the future of IP.
- Participate in professionalism events with in-the-trenches leaders from different companies and firms all over the world.
- Immerse yourself in the art and science of the study of IP by taking a “deep dive” into cutting-edge topics that are changing the way we interact with the world.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Open to professors, students at law schools across the country, practitioners, and allied legal professionals, courses are offered online and in-person during IPSI-in-Residence June 10-13. Courses from this year’s IPSI include:
- Metaverse with Jon Garon, Director of Intellectual Property, Cybersecurity, and Technology Law Program, Nova Southeastern University
- Pharmaceutical Patents in the Life Sciences Industry with Richard Kurz, partner, Haug Partners
- From Traditional Media to Social Media: Current Issues and Events in the Law of Media and Mass Communication with Chris Reed, Senior Vice President of Intellectual Property, Content Protection, and Litigation, Fox Corporation
- Name, Image and Likeness with Mike McCann, Professor of Law, and Director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute, UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law
- Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, and the Law with Samson Williams, President at Crowdfunding Professional Association and Adjunct Professor at UHN Franklin Pierce, and George Pullen, Chief Economist at MilkyWayEconomy
- Fashion & IP with Dawn Buonocare Atlas, Vice President, Enforcement and Assistant General Counsel, Calvin Klein, Inc.
- Global Antitrust, Standard Essential Patents and FRAND with Ilkka Rahnasto, SVP of Marconi and formerly Chief IP Counsel of Nokia
- IP Management with Robert O’Connell, Sr. Director and Assoc. General Counsel, Intellectual Property, DexCom, Inc.
- IP Tax with Mary LaFrance, IGT Professor of IP Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Video Gaming & IP with Jessica Harrison, Partner, Resolute Legal, PLLC.
Mix and match the courses to reflect your level of academic and professional interest!
IPSI-in-Residence (June 10-13)
Also, be sure to join us for our “Fun Weekend”—which will feature a hike or two in the beautiful summer New Hampshire mountains, canoeing/kayaking, and a lovely reception at the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Museum. We’d love to see you!
Your Academic IP Leader
MICKY MINHAS, JD/LLM '97
DIRECTOR, FRANKLIN PIERCE CENTER FOR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Micky Minhas is Senior Vice President at the Marconi Group, an intellectual property licensing and investment firm based in Dallas, Texas. As part of the Marconi management team, he plays a vital role supporting Marconi’s vision of transforming the fundamentals of intellectual property licensing through providing better ways to share patented technology.
Before joining Marconi in March 2020, Micky was Chief Patent Counsel for Microsoft, managing the Microsoft patent group since 2012. Micky managed a team of over one hundred patent professionals who were primarily responsible for outbound and inbound intellectual property licensing, patent strategy, patent acquisitions and divestitures. He also managed patent preparation and prosecution of patents and was responsible for Microsoft’s conflicts, indemnification and prelitigation practice. During his time, Microsoft had a significant patent licensing business resulting in significant revenue for the company, as well as placement of Microsoft products on Android based mobile devices.
Prior to Microsoft, Micky served for 13 years as Vice President of Intellectual Property Strategy at Qualcomm in San Diego, California. There, Micky was responsible for establishing the company’s 4G patent portfolio as well as intellectual property aspects of Qualcomm’s mergers and acquisitions practice. As part of his time with Qualcomm, Micky was based in Munich, Germany where he managed the company’s patent opposition practice.
Micky holds a BS in Electrical Engineering from Marquette University (’89), an MS in Electrical Engineering from George Washington University (’93) and a JD and LLM from the University of New Hampshire School of Law (’97).
We look forward to seeing either online, in-person—or both!