University of New Hampshire

School of Law

Financial Aid – Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study Program allows a qualifying U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S., who has applied for financial aid, to earn money instead of borrowing it. This benefits a student in lessening their total debt burden.

Although our office cannot guarantee the availability of Federal Work Study positions, both on campus and off, know that most departments do offer regular employment to students. You can start by inquiring with various departments once you are on campus. If you are a 1L and do not find a position or choose not to work your first semester, you may find employment your second semester. You can still earn the total amount you were awarded for the academic year. Within CAMS you will find an updated list of available positons. Some are on-campus with various departments and include research/teaching assistant positions. Others are off-campus jobs.

In order to be considered for all types of federal financial aid, including Federal Work Study, you must complete and submit all financial aid documents as described in the Financial Aid Application Procedures section.

  • All students with a demonstrated financial need are offered Federal Work Study
  • Students must provide a valid legal proof of identification to the Business Office prior to starting work such as a passport, photo drivers license, original birth certificate, Social Security Card or other valid legal form of ID
  • Students are paid $10 per hour for on-campus jobs
  • Typically, students work between 5 and 15 hours per week
  • No student is permitted to work more than 20 hours per week when classes are in session
  • Students may work up to 37.5 hours per week during vacation periods
  • Positions also available off–campus at various non–profit and government agencies including; the NH Attorney General's Office, the NH Commission for Human Rights and the NH Civil Liberties Union
  • Student Employment Policies and Procedures
Search terms must contain 3 or more characters.