University of New Hampshire

School of Law

International Students - Getting Settled in NH

Bringing Your Household: What to Consider

Bringing Your Family

School-age children (ages 6 to 16) are required to attend school.

To enroll them, you will need to have their :

  • Official birth certificate
  • School records
  • Medical history
  • Immunization record

The immunization should cover:

  • At least 3 doses of DPT (diphtheria)
  • 3 doses of OPV (oral polio vaccine)
  • 1 dose of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)

A mantoux test for TB (tuberculosis) is also recommended if you are coming from a country with a high incidence of the disease.

Childcare centers for preschool children and after-school programs in the Concord area are expensive and often have waiting lists. It may take some time to make childcare arrangements. Please refer to the Child Care section of this guide for more information. Read more>> Student Survival Guide

Family members who accompany you must have medical insurance if they are on J-2 visas and should have insurance if they come as F-2. Medical insurance is expensive, but uninsured medical services and prescriptions are even more expensive. Please keep that in mind.

Dependent spouses of international students on F-1 status are not eligible to work under any circumstances. They can, however, attend language school like Second Start or other part-time vocational or recreational programs.

Useful items to bringing


International Driver's License
is helpful to have. It must be used in conjunction with your current driver's license, so bring both.


Your native language legal dictionary. A bilingual general dictionary may be used in classes and exams. You cannot use an electronic dictionary during exams.


Credit Card
is a convenient way to pay for purchases, hotels, car rentals, etc. Do not give your credit card number over the phone or the Internet unless you initiate the call.


Information About Your Country
Your home country's music, costume, customs and IP laws are basic knowledge you will find useful during presentations you will make about your country in the spring semester.


It is imperative that you bring with you, in US dollars, the money to cover tuition and living expenses. You do not need to have cash. Books and supplies, room, board, medical insurance and personal expenses are estimated to be $20,736 for 12 months. Additional funds are needed if you bring dependents. Remember: students on an F-1 visa can only work on campus and there are very few jobs available to international students. You cannot have a job off campus.


Medicine Kit
Bring your doctor's prescriptions and any medication that you take regularly. Know the generic equivalent of your medications because they are cheaper to buy. Prescription medicine is very expensive in the U.S., as are all medical services. We recommend you undergo a general physical exam before coming.


Auto insurance Information
If you plan to purchase a car, bring a "good driver letter" from your auto insurance company at home. It may help you save on the cost of auto insurance in the US. If you are not licensed to drive in your country, you may have to take a certified driving course to get a NH driver's license.


Academic Transcripts
All students need to ask their degree-granting undergraduate and/or law school to send an official copy of their academic transcript directly to the University of New Hampshire School of Law. LSDAS and WES do not count as an official copy. LLM students: If you plan to take a US bar exam, the state bar examiners will require an official copy of your law degree. Please request a copy before you leave home.


Medical Insurance
All students are required to have medical and health insurance in order to register. If you buy insurance in your country that will cover you in the U.S. bring proof of coverage with you. Insurance is also available at school. You will receive more information about insurance options from the Financial Aid Office in July.


Because of changing seasons, it is important to be prepared for changing weather. Rain-repellent outerwear, waterproof footwear and umbrellas will help. Mittens, hats, insulated boots and warm coats are essential in the winter. Dress code is casual at school, but you might want to bring something more formal for social events. Your national dress is always welcome for special occasions.


Updated Dental & Vision Care
Dental and vision care are not often covered by the insurances offered, so we recommend that you get your teeth and eyes checked before leaving home. Remember to keep your current insurance coverage in full force and effect until the effective dates of the school policies.


Commonly Used Spices
If you plan to cook, bring spices that you are accustomed to. They might just be the right touch to make you feel at home.

Getting to UNH Law

The nearest international airport to Concord is Logan Airport in Boston, Massachusetts. At Logan Airport you can pick up the Concord Coach Lines bus. The bus terminal in Concord is a 10-minute walk to the Holiday Inn and a 5-minute cab ride to UNH Law. A cab ride from Boston to Concord is 1.5 hours long and quite expensive. Some limousine companies provide airport service: Grace Limousine and Executive Sedan and Limousine.

If your flight takes you to Manchester Boston Regional Airport in Manchester, NH, here is a list of ground transportation options that will take you from Manchester to Concord.

If you are staying at the Courtyard Marriot in Concord, they do provide shuttle service to the hotel from the airport; please make sure they are aware of your arrival ahead of time.

Driving to Concord from Boston takes about 1.5 hours depending on traffic. Take Interstate 93 North to Concord, NH. Get off at Exit 14. Stay on the left side of the ramp and follow signs to "Pierce Law," now the University of New Hampshire School of Law.  Read more>>  How to get here

Search terms must contain 3 or more characters.