Students will learn to draft patent claims that are acceptable to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and to the United States courts. Students will become familiar with the statutes, regulations, practice, and customs that guide the drafting of acceptable patent claims. The course format consists of lecture and small section meetings. The entire class meets with the Professor for lecture 1½ hours per week to cover theory and general principles. Students meet in small sections with local practicing patent attorneys 1½ hours per week to practice and review the mechanics of claim drafting. Students weekly draft and turn in claims for review and feedback by the practicing patent attorneys.
- Course Number: IP-0061
- Credits: 3
- Prerequisites: None. Patent Law is highly recommended and may be taken concurrently.
- Course Format: Lecture
- Eligibility: Open to all except 1Ls.
- Final examination: 60%
- Midterm examination: 30%
- Class prep. and participation: 10%
- Research paper: -
- Regular submissions/quizzes: -
- Other (see syllabus): -
Other Course Information
- This course cannot be taken for an S/U grade.