Living in Concord

Welcome to UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law and Concord, New Hampshire! This is your ultimate "survival guide," designed specifically for you by UNH Law students and staff. The guide is not to be used in place of the Yellow Pages, local publications or Google, but we hope it will help you become more familiar with the school as well as the many charming, fun and unique aspects of life in Concord.

Downtown Concord Winter

Live Free and Flourish

UNH Franklin Pierce is located in Concord, New Hampshire, the state capital. Just steps from the capitol building and all branches of state government, the campus is next to White Park, a beautiful century-old public park with walking trails, an outdoor pool, playground and a pristine pond that is a popular spot for ice skating in the winter. 

Concord's vibrant downtown offers a wealth of restaurants, events and cultural happenings. The surrounding region, including New Hampshire’s beautiful seacoast, the White Mountains National Forest, and the nearby Lakes Region, is rich with recreational activities for any season. UNH’s main campus is 45 minutes south in Durham where you can experience Wildcat fever and catch a football or hockey game. 

Boston is an hour away and Montreal and New York City are about five hours by car. Concord is also 30 minutes north of Nashua, Salem and Manchester—New Hampshire’s “golden triangle” of high tech and business development, affording employment and externship possibilities.

Find out why US News and World Reports says New Hampshire is the second best state to live in the United States!

Child Care

The list of licensed facilities and private homes for childcare services in the Concord area is extensive. Because of this we encourage you/your spouse to come to Concord at your earliest convenience to visit each facility you are considering. Many centers have waiting lists, so it's best to call to check availability early.

Two resources that may be helpful during your childcare search include:

The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services: Licensed Child Care Providers List

Childcare Center: Concord, NH Child Care Centers

Registering Children for School

For students new to Concord, immunization records and the address of the previous school are necessary. A birth certificate or copy of a birth certificate is needed for students starting in kindergarten. Forms for the immunization record are available at the school. Call the Superintendent of School's Office at 225-0811 to find out which school is appropriate for your neighborhood and child's grade. If you do not have the child's previous school records, the school will send for them. The Concord School District website lists all Concord public schools and links to the school's web pages.


  • Concord Area Transit (CAT): (603) 225-1989 - Limited bus service within the city of Concord and to the mall. Buses run from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Contact CAT directly for bus routes.
  • Concord Cab Company: 1 Kennedy Lane, (603) 225-4222
  • Concord Coach Lines: 30 Stickney Avenue, (800) 639-3317 - Frequent service to Boston, South Station, and Logan Airport

Police and Fire Department

For all emergencies, medical and otherwise – dial 911

  • Police department: 35 Green St., (603) 225-8664
  • Fire department: 24 Horseshoe Pond Lane, (603) 225-8650

Medical Services

  • Concord Hospital: 250 Pleasant St, (603) 225-2711, 24-hour emergency services
  • Concord Hospital Walk-In Urgent Care Center: (603) 230-1200, walk in clinic at Horseshoe Pond
  • Concord Hospital Family Health Center: 250 Pleasant St., 228-7200
  • Concord Family Medicine: 141 East Side Dr., 228-0071
  • Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center: 253 Pleasant St., 226-2200
  • Capital Area Veterinary Emergency Service: 1 Intervale Rd, Concord NH 03301, (603) 227-1199, open 24 hours

You may or may not want to establish New Hampshire residency. An out-of-state license plus a University of New Hampshire School of Law student I.D. is usually equivalent to a NH license for identification purposes (e.g., to cash checks).

You are required to obtain a NH car registration within 60 days of becoming a resident of the state. If you will be living in Concord, the city of Concord website should tell you all you need to know.

If the vehicle is owned by you, submit the title, along with proof of residency, to the town or city office where you reside. If the vehicle is leased, there is a lien holder or the vehicle is title exempt, submit the following to the town or city office where you reside:

  • The out-of-state registration
  • Lease agreement, if applicable
  • Lienholder's name and address
  • Proof of residency

You will need a title or certificate of origin with you when you go to the city/town clerk, who will fill out a registration application and collect the city/town fee. There is also an annual auto inspection in your birth month. Each inspection can be performed at an authorized local service station.

Please visit the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles for more information, including information for International Students who wish to get a driver's license: