Admissions FAQs

What You Want to Know

What graduate programs do you offer?

We have an LL.M. and an interdisciplinary Master’s program in: Intellectual Property, Commerce and Technology and International Criminal Law and Justice.

We offer a one-semester graduate certificate in Intellectual Property and Commerce and Technology.

Am I a good fit?

The LL.M. program is ideal for domestic and foreign-trained attorneys seeking specialized training.

The Intellectual Property Master’s degree program is a good fit for domestic and foreign engineers, scientists or business professionals who want a specialized degree.

The International Criminal Law and Justice Master’s program is designed for professionals, students and scholars in diplomatic, criminal, military or law enforcement communities around the globe.

What are the admission requirements?

You can find a specific list of requirements listed on our application checklist page.

Do I need a law degree to be admitted into the LL.M. program?

All LL.M. applicants must have completed a J.D., LL.B. or a recognized equivalent law degree, or have credentials that demonstrate equivalent qualification through relevant professional experience, as outlined in the graduate program admission standards.

Do I need a law degree to be admitted into the master’s program?

You do not need a law degree.

Will I be required to take the LSAT examination?

You do not have to take the LSAT.

Is work experience required?

No work experience is necessary.

Who is exempt from the language proficiency requirement?

You may be exempt if you received a degree from a college or university where English was the medium language of instruction.
Since I am in the United States, will you accept photocopies of my academic documents from an institution based in a foreign country?

We will not accept photocopies.

Should my transcript be evaluated before I submit it?

Yes. All international applicants, both to our online and residential programs, must have their transcripts translated to English and evaluated through a credential evaluation service such as LSACWES or Globe.

Am I required to register for the LSAC LL.M. Credential Assembly Service?

Applicants to our residential and limited residential programs should submit an application through the LSAC Credential Assembly Service. Applicants to our online programs  may choose to apply online through our website, rather than register for the LSAC Service. However, all international applicants (both online and residential) must have their transcripts evaluated through a credential evaluation service such as LSACWES or Globe.

When can I begin the program? 

Students have the option to enroll in the fall (August) for our residential programs. Online programs have fall and spring (January) entry.

Please see how to apply for specific entry terms.

UNH Law has rolling admissions, so applying early is very important. Late applicants are evaluated if time and space permit. International applicants to residential programs are encouraged to complete their application by July 1 in order to allow time for the visa process.

When are classes scheduled?

Classes are typically scheduled Mondays through Fridays during the morning and early afternoon.

What if I am not sure if the online program is right for me?

Students may “try out” UNH Law’s graduate law online programs by registering for online courses (up to 9 credits) as a nondegree student. To apply to take a course as a nondegree student, please complete an application and submit a transcript that reflects completion of at least an undergraduate degree. International applicants should also provide proof of English language ability. Nondegree students may apply to the program at any time with approval from the program chair.

How many credits are necessary to complete the degree?

LL.M. needs 24 credits, a master’s degree needs 30 credits.

Am I eligible to participate in an internship/externship?

Yes. Residential LL.M. and Master’s degree candidates, with an honor average or better at the end of their first semester, may be eligible for an externship.
May I transfer to the Juris Doctor program after matriculating in the Master’s or LL.M. program?

Students enrolled in the Master’s or LL.M. program may apply to the J.D. program after completing their first semester.  Also, UNH Law offers highly qualified foreign trained lawyers advanced standing admission to the J.D. program.

What are my housing options?

There are a variety of housing options in the Concord area. Admitted students are given access to the Housing Marketplace where they can view a list of available housing from local landlords. You will need a user name and password to access the housing list. All instructions are posted on the housing website.  We also have a coordinator who assists students in the process of securing housing.

Are scholarships or other financial assistance options available to international students?

Applicants for residential programs are eligible for scholarships. Priority will be given to individuals who apply before April 1. To be considered for a scholarship, applicants must also request a scholarship under the financial assistance section in the application.

Federal financial aid is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Eligible students must complete a FAFSA form online, and a financial aid award letter will be sent to qualified students shortly thereafter.

After completion of the LL.M. program, will I be eligible to take a bar examination?

Please visit the American Bar Association's website for a state-by-state guide to bar examination requirements.