Dual and Joint Degrees

Dual and Joint Degrees
J.D. admissions student at desk


Dual and joint degrees let you obtain the specialized skills and refined experience to compete in the legal marketplace.

Joint Degrees


Pair your J.D. degree with a Master's from the Law School to obtain the specialized skills and refined experience to compete in the legal marketplace:

  • Intellectual Property
  • Commerce & Technology

You may apply for joint degree status at the beginning of the second semester during your first J.D. year. Joint degree students submit a brief application and pay a minimal processing fee.

If accepted, you will be formally enrolled in the joint degree program when you complete your first year of J.D. study. 


Dual Degrees


At UNH Law, aspiring lawyers attain a world-class legal education in partnership with internationally-recognized MBA, Public Policy, and Social Work programs, thanks to the UNH School of Law being part of the University of New Hampshire system. Arm yourself with the diverse skills necessary to excel as a lawyer.


Colleges: UNH Law and the UNH Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics in Durham.


  • Gain a comprehensive knowledge of the interconnection of legal and business issues in a complex global economy.
  • Capitalize on the Paul College's strength in training future entrepreneurs and UNH Law’s expertise in intellectual property and innovation law.
  • Earn a J.D. and MBA in less time than if both degrees were pursued separately.
  • MBA classes are held on the UNH campus in Durham, offering access to a major research university.

Length of study: The J.D./MBA is usually completed in 3 ½ years (or seven semesters). For the MBA, the student spends five semesters at UNH Law and two semesters at the UNH business school in Durham. Students in the J.D./MBA program spend 11 successive months taking classes at the Durham campus, following their first year of law school.

When to apply: You can apply to the MBA or M.S.W. program when initially applying to UNH Law; or you can apply by the end of your second semester of law school.

How to apply: Please contact:
Cynthia Traver
Recruiting & Admissions
Paul College Graduate Programs
University of New Hampshire
Email: Cynthia.traver@unh.edu
Phone: (603) 862.5488 

Details: Please contact UNH Law's admissions office for more information.

Colleges: UNH Law and The Carsey School of Public Policy at UNH

Benefits: The dual J.D./M.P.P. degree program provides students with highly valuable and marketable skills and credentials to make an impact on public policy. It is designed to train students who wish to effectively combine legal training with public policy skills for careers that benefit from specialized training in both fields. Students will gain a deep understanding of how legal and policy issues relate and how to use this understanding to have an impact and make a difference in the complex contemporary world of law and public policy. 

Length of study: The two degrees are generally awarded after three and a half years in the program. Taken separately and sequentially it would normally take four and a half years to get both degrees. Thus, the combined program offers substantial savings in time and expense.

Most students will attend law school courses in year one where they will follow the standard year one law school curriculum. The second year is when students will complete all required, core M.P.P. courses (including the J-Term) and three M.P.P. electives. Following this year of intensive focus on public policy, students will then finish up with three additional semesters of law courses in years three and part of four.  It is during these final three semesters that students will acquire their final three M.P.P. elective courses by completing law school courses relevant to public policy. The Internship and Capstone project required for the M.P.P. can be completed in the summers between the academic years. The internship requirement may be satisfied through a law school externship.

When to apply: The J.D./M.P.P. Dual Degree program only admits students beginning in the fall term.

How to apply: Students will use the regular on-line admission processes of the UNH Graduate School (for the M.P.P.) and School of Law (for the J.D.) and they will fulfill all the necessary application requirements, including undergraduate institution coursework and GPA, LSAT (required), letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and resume indicating awards and scholarships and professional experience. The LSAT is accepted in lieu of the GRE for the M.P.P. application.

Application process and requirement overview: Students wishing to pursue the J.D./M.P.P. dual degree program must apply and be accepted separately into each of the two degree programs.

Costs: The J.D./M.P.P. dual degree program has a tuition structure that reflects the reduced time to degree for the programs with the Law School and the Carsey School. You can find current tuition information regarding the J.D./M.P.P. dual degree here. For more information on additional fees, go to the Carsey and Law School pages that outline the costs of the M.P.P. and J.D. degrees.

Transfer of credit between the programs: UNH Law requires 85 credits to obtain the J.D. degree and the Carsey School requires 40 credits to obtain the M.P.P. degree. UNH Law will accept a maximum of 12 credits for transfer into the J.D. program from successfully completed, approved M.P.P. courses. The Carsey School will accept 9 elective credits for transfer into the M.P.P. program from successfully completed, approved J.D. courses. Thus dual degree students must complete 104 credits to complete the program.

Read more about the J.D./M.P.P. program

Colleges: UNH Law and the UNH College of Health and Human Services in Durham.

Benefits: Make a difference addressing critical social justice issues, including immigration, gender bias and discrimination and domestic violence. M.S.W. program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Length of study: The J.D./M.S.W. degree time will depend on the student's M.S.W. track. All students complete a foundation-year course of study, then elect a second-year concentration either in direct/clinical practice or community/administrative practice. Both concentrations require classroom work and two year-long field internships.

A typical dual degree candidate may begin credits in Durham, then complete his or her first year of law school. The remaining J.D. and M.S.W. courses following that will prepare the candidate for his or her career. Students planning to enroll in the M.S.W.’s advanced standing track must consult with professor Sharon Murphy to understand the unique timing of the program.

When to apply: You can apply to the MBA or M.S.W. program when initially applying to UNH Law; or you can apply by the end of your second semester of law school.

How to apply: Please contact the M.S.W. admissions team by emailing unh.socialwork@unh.edu or calling (603) 862-1799

Application process and requirement overview: Students must apply to UNH Law and the M.S.W. program and be admitted to both. 

J.D. students applying to the MBA program do not need to take the GMAT. They may use their LSAT exam in place of the GMAT. 

The M.S.W. program does not require an entrance exam. The program may request your LSAT.

Costs:  You can find current tuition information regarding the J.D./M.S.W. dual degree here.

Transfer of credits between the programs: UNH Law requires 85 credits for a J.D. degree. The law school will accept 12 credits for transfer from the MBA or M.S.W. portion of the dual degree.

UNH Law will accept a maximum of 12 credits from the following MBA courses: Management Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Economics, Managerial Finance, Managerial Decision Making, International Business and Strategic Management.

UNH will accept 9 J.D. credits for transfer into the MBA program from among a student’s J.D. courses including Contracts, Torts and Property.

The M.S.W. credits transferring to the law school depend on program track and electives selected. Students are encouraged to consult with admissions and/or a faculty advisor.

Details: Please contact UNH Law's admissions office for more information.

Request Information